“Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.”
– Thich Nhat Hanh
Individuals who inspire
- I highly recommend the teachings of Thich Nhat Hanh. His voice is the very sound of peace, like tranquil water–gentleness personified. He shows us in the way he has lived his life that peace is possible. I cannot say enough about what this man continues to teach me and there are not enough words for me to express my gratitude for him. He is a treat for the heart.
- The wisdom and teachings of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama who is the living embodiment of compassion in action.
- The wisdom of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche (Shambhala). The most grounding groundless person who ever lived. So observant, real, and very human.
- The many books and recorded teachings of Pema Chodron have been some of the most powerfully transformative practices and ideas of my spiritual life.
- Susan Piver has been a pivotal influence in my spiritual journey. Her authentic voice and reverence for the Shambhala teachings have enriched my meditation practice and teaching. She is the creator of the Open Heart Project (http://susanpiver.com), an online meditation community, classroom, and overall wonderful resource.
- The dharma talks of Swami Niranjanananda Saraswati (YouTube).
- The philosophical discussions, writings and teachings of Alan Watts. I love his wit, charm and wisdom, and how he speaks with great authority and conviction.
Books that inspire
- Art of Peace by Morihei Ueshiba
- Shambhala: The Sacred Path of the Warrior by Chogyam Trungpa
- Turning the Mind into an Ally by Sakyong Mipham
- The Places That Scare You: A Guide to Fearlessness in Difficult Times by Pema Chodron
- Start Here Now by Susan Piver
- Looking at Mindfulness by Christoph Andre
- The Miracle of Mindfulness by Thich Nhat Hahn (and every book by him!)
- Wherever You Go, There You Are by Jon Kabot-Zinn
- Writing Down the Bones Natalie Goldberg
- Zen Mind, Beginners Mind by Shunryu Suzuki
- The Four Agreements Dan Miguel Ruiz